eReader Tutorials: Nook eReaders
Tutorial for Nook Classic, Nook Simple Touch, and Nook Simple Touch Glowlight
Downloading Adobe Digital Editions for Your Home Computer:
- For Nook eReaders, a free copy of Adobe Digital Editions must be downloaded. It is available via the Official Adobe Website.
- Once this software is downloaded it, open it and log in using your Adobe account information.
Checking Out Books:
- Navigate to http://omnilibraries.org on your home computer.
- Click on the Account icon in the upper, right-hand corner and choose our library to sign into your account using your library card number and PIN.
- You can browse through current titles on the main page or search for books by clicking the magnifying glass icon on the top-right of the page.
- Click on a title you want once you have found it.
- If the book is currently available click on “Borrow” and you will be taken to a new page where it asks you to choose a format to download the book. You will want to select “EPUB eBook” and then click “Confirm & Download”
- On the book’s page click “Place a Hold” if the book isn’t currently available then you will be asked for an email address to be notified when you can check it out.
- [wpanchor id=”load”]
Loading Books onto Your eReader:
- Once you download a book, locate the file in your downloads folder (or wherever your web browser saves files by default) and double click on the icon to open it in Adobe Digital Editions.
- By default, once the book has loaded into the program, it will open, but for now, click on “Library” in the top, left-hand corner to return to your bookshelf.
- Plug your Nook into your computer with the USB cable that came with your device.
- Go back to Adobe Digital Editions and find your device in the left sidebar.
- To the right of the “Devices” title, click the cogwheel for a drop down menu and choose “Authorize Device…” and follow the steps in the pop up window.
- Once the device is authorized, click on either “All Items” or “Borrowed” from the menu on the left.
- Click and drag to highlight all of the titles you wish to transfer to your Nook; if there is just one title you do not have to highlight it first.
- Right click on one of the titles you have selected and from the menu select “Copy to Computer/Device” and the select “Nook.”
- IMPORTANT: Eject your device before removing the USB cable from it.
- From your Nook, click on the “n” menu button and tap “Library.”
- Find the title you just borrowed and tap on the cover to begin reading.
- To confirm, click “Return.”
- Open Adobe Digital Editions on your home computer.
- Locate the title you wish to return from either the “All Items” or “Borrowed” bookshelves on the left sidebar.
- Right-click the title you want to return and select “Returned Borrowed Item.”
- You will receive a message asking you if you are sure you want to return your title as well as any titles that were delivered with it.
- To confirm, click “Return.”